Monday, August 13, 2012

Made it Monday: Barnwood Art

You know me...I love a good thrifty find, so when my brother asked me if I wanted any free (yes, I said free) old barnwood, I jumped at the chance. All I had to do was go with him to help pick it out. So I got myself a few boards with ideas floating through my head.

I had seen a few things on pinterest that I wanted to make with barnwood, like this and this and this. After thinking on it for a while, I finally decided to use part of the chorus from one of my favorite songs.



Here is how I made it...

After I recovered my barnwood that I stored at my parents, I was just going to cut it down to size. But then I got to thinking...this wood has been outside, at a farm, for a long time. Which means bugs could be living in it. I consulted with my wise, old dad about my options...he said I could either bake the wood to get bugs out or use some paint thinner (paint it on the wood). I opted for the paint thinner. So I brushed it down with a wire brush, blew off all the gunk with an air compressor, and painted it with paint thinner.


Once the paint thinner dried I cut the wood down to size. Then I pieced them together (they fit together perfectly since each peice had a groove on top and lip on bottom). They just needed a little reinforcement to help them to stay together, so my dad and I added some scrap thin strips of wood along the back and nailed them on.

Once I got back to my place with the assembled piece, I broke out the cricut to make some stencils. I cut my lyrics out of vinyl and stuck the stencil onto the wood.



I used some cream paint that I had on hand to paint on the lyrics. Once it was dry, I removed the vinyl and nailed a good old pop tab to the back so I could hang it on the wall. That made the total project cost...FREE!


I hung it in my spare room above the bed. Yes, the picture is off center, but I just hung it on an existing nail. I'll get around to fixing that soon.


Also, check out For King and Country, their song Proof of Your Love is where these lyrics came from. This band has some great music! Here is a link to the song.

Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment