Monday, November 5, 2012

Made it Monday: DIY Key Holder

Hope all of you had a great weekend and got to enjoy an extra hour of sleep (sorry AZ friends)! This weekend, my brother came to my place for a visit. He recently moved into a new place, and needed a key holder. When we were walking around Ikea, he saw a chalkboard key holder that he really liked. It looked really cheap though, and I told him we could make something way nicer.
Using the Ikea piece as inspiration, we picked up this frame at Target on clearance for $6. I really don't know who would have paid $20 for this thing...(I did save the ribbon from the inside though, as we are planning a cowgirl birthday party for my niece in December. Thought I'd be able to make it into something cute.)
 
 
On a side note, see how the clearance sticker is right on the glass...I used my Norwex rag to get off the sticker goo. It comes right off--way easier than using rubbing alcohol. If you've never heard of Norwex, go check them out. I love their stuff (no, I do not sell their products, just love them!).
 
First step was to get rid of that hideous ribbon/background and paint the glass with chalkboard paint. I did three coats of paint. While the paint was drying we added some screw in hooks to the bottom of the frame. Once it was dry, we put the frame back together. It was that easy! Here is my brother displaying the finished product Vanna White style...
 


 
Sorry this picture is the wrong way!
 
Lexi
 
Like Remnants on facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment