Monday, June 18, 2012

Made it Monday: Summer DIY Dress


Hey guys! I have a fun tutorial and project to share with you today. I made myself a dress! Never thought I'd say that. Even after I made it I was wondering if I'd actually wear it. I don't have that much faith in my sewing skills! But, I wore it all day yesterday and it didn't fall apart!
I'm not going to lie, I did have to do some seam ripping on this bad boy, but I really like how it turned out and I plan on making another one similar to this. I love wearing dresses and this is a cheap way to do it. I found this idea on pinterest and went between a couple of tutorials to make mine. All you need is a tank top (mine was one I had that was too short), a little over a yard of fabric, wide elastic, coordinating thread and a sewing machine. Here is what I did:

First I cut my tank top a little below the bust, leaving a little extra fabric to allow for the seam:
Then I cut the wide elastic. I measured it on myself just below the bust, and cut it a little longer. Overlapping the edges a bit, sew them together to make a circle. This was my first mistake while making this dress that caused a lot of seam ripping. I cut my elastic to fit snug. This is not a good thing when you have to get that same chunk of elastic over your shoulders to take the dress off. What I had to do later was cut a longer piece of elastic. My tip would be, when measuring out your elastic, do not stretch it and add a couple extra inches to the length.

Next, I made a nice seam on my skirt fabric, made a gathering stitch, then gathered it.
Then, I measured the skirt fabric around the same "below the bust" spot, to make sure I didn't gather it too much and made sure it fit around me. Then I sewed the sides of the fabric together to make a skirt.
Next I sewed my gathered edge onto the elastic band. Then I sewed the tank onto the top of the elastic band. My tank did pucker in a couple of places since the tank is stretchy material.

Once I had everything sewed on, I tried on the dress to see where I wanted to cut the skirt off. I found a good spot, cut off the extra fabric, and gave it a nice seam. To finish it off, I used the extra fabric from the tank to make some flowers for the top. I used velcro to attach them to the tank, because I wasn't sure how they would wash up. I just take the flowers off before I wash the dress.
This is just a brief explanation of how I made this. Feel free to comment with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment