Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Mexican Stuffed Shells

This weekend, I made one of my new favorite recipes, Mexican Stuffed Shells. I found this recipe via Pinterest (surprise!), and was pleasantly surprised with how good it is.

 

Here is what you’ll need:

1 lb. ground beef
1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
4 oz. cream cheese
14-16 jumbo pasta shells (I use a whole box)
1.5 cup salsa
1 cup taco sauce                                                                                                                           1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup monterey jack cheese
3 green onions
Sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Boil the noodles. While the noodles are boiling, brown the hamburger.

Once the hamburger is browned, add the taco seasoning according to the package directions. Then, add the cream cheese and allow it to melt.

Meanwhile, pour the salsa into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

When the noodles are fully cooked, drain the water and lay them out on a cutting board to cool. Then, you can start stuffing the hamburger mixture into the shells. I will admit, I hate this part. It is tedious, but its worth it in the end. Set the shells in the salsa once stuffed. I did run out of the hamburger mixture for the last couple of shells, so I just threw them in the pan. You could probably add more hamburger/taco seasoning/cream cheese to fill all the shells.

Pour the taco sauce over the top. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Top with cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Top with green onions, sour cream, and your other favorite toppings (black olives are great on top and so are sliced grape tomatoes).

Soon, I will be trying another recipe that I found on Pinterest for homemade taco seasoning. I am excited that I will know exactly what I ‘m putting in my food versus trusting in packaged seasonings. I’ll let you know how that works out!

Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment